Edited by: Joe
Hing Kwok Chu
Brand Names: Serevent, Aeromax
Uses: included in FDA approved
(1) Treatment and prevention of bronchospasm in asthma;
(2) prevention of nocturnal asthma;
(3) prevention of exercise induced bronchospasm.
Other unlabeled uses include treating of chronic obstructive pulmonary
How it works: It acts as a
broncho-dilator, and helps to move mucus and block release of histamines
from mast cells that worsen asthma.
This Drug Should not Be Taken if
(1) a previous allergic reaction, or
(2) irregular heart rhythm
(3) taking during the past 2 weeks of any MAO
type A inhibitors
(4) sudden worsening of asthma symptoms.
(1) When used with beclomethasone aerosol (Beclovent, Vanceril) may
increase the risk of fluorocarbon prpellant toxicity. Use salmeterol
aerosol 20 to 30 minutes before beclomethasone aerosol to reduce txicty
and enhance penetration of beclomethasone into the lungs.
(2) Serius heart rhytthm problems or cardiac arrest can result from
excessive and prolonged use.
(3) Should NOT be used for treatment of acute symptoms or exacerbations
of asthma according to the guideline of NIH.
Effect of Overdose: tachycardia and or arrhythmia, muscle cramps,
cardiac arrest, and death.
This drug may cause nervousness of dizziness. Restrict driving or other
hazardous activities. Use of this drug is a disqualification for