Herba cum radice houttuyniae cordatae
Houttuynia cordata Thunb.
Pron. in Japanese:
Pron. in Korean:
Pron. in Cantonese:
jyu4 seng1 cou2
ji cai 蕺菜﹐zhe er gen折耳根﹐yu chao cao魚躁草
houttuynia, pig thigh
along Yangzi River and in southern part of China
Properties (characteristics)﹕ 性味﹕
acrid, bitter and slightly cool
Channels (meridians) entered:
large intestine, lung
Actions & Indications:
rid of heat and toxin, swellings, abscesses, expels pus. Use internally
or topically. Promote urination, clear damp heat diarrhea, clear painful
urination, for boils, gonorrhea.
The main antibiotic ingredient is decanoylacetaldehyde (an essential
The essential oil of yu xing cao can inhibit HIV-1 (AIDS-virus) in vitro .
Its potassium salt and quercitin can enhance the function of capillaries,
and can improve blood flow and promote urination.
Chemical ingredients （化学成份）:
揮發油 (evaporating oil) 0.05%:
日本產鱼腥草主成分为 (main ingrediants of yu xing cao produced in
麝香草酚 等(Thymol & etc)。
全草含 (whole plant contains:)
槲皮素 (Quercitin) ﹐
蘆丁(芸 香醇) (Rutin﹐)
花及果穗含 (flowers and fruits contain:)
檞皮素 (quercitin )
葉含 (leaves conain:)
10 to 25 g (do not boil for long time). External use: according to need
Samples of formulae:
See:Acute infection, diarrhea
1. For treating inflammation of the respiratory tract.
2. For treating over expansion of bronchi.
3. For treating whooping cough
4. For water retention in the chest cavity caused by cancer
5. For preventing infection after surgery
6. For lowering fever
7. For treating bacterial diarrhea
8. For treating jaundice type of hepatitis
9. For treating kidney multiple syndroms
10. For treating ulceration of the neck of uterus
11. For treating inflammation of the pelvic area
12. For treating simple type of inflammation of the cornea
13. For treating sinus inflammation of the nose
14. For treating inflammation ( with pus) of the middle ear
15. For treating measles
16. For treating epidemic type of tonsillitis
17. For treating tumors of the blood vessels
18. For preventing leptospira disease:
Effectiveness: out of 1603 farm workers who took yu xing cao pills only one person contacted the disease.
(formulae to be uploaded)
Juice from fresh yu xing cao inhibits staphylococcus aureus. After
heating, it is less effective. Heating may cause the essential oil, an
active ingredient to evaporate. Thus it becomes less effective.
Toxicity is mild. Vaginal applications have caused inflammation but
symptoms subsided after stopping the applications.
There are reports that injectiones of yu xing cao extract had caused
allergic reaction of shock [32-33] and death , and also had caused
skin atrophy type of skin inflammation .